For tourists who just arrived in Paris, trying the hop-on hop-off bus tours is a great way to explore the city in general. It is ideal that tourists get the overview of Paris first before heading off on their own. Another is the public transportation system in Paris, in which tourists need to familiarize themselves with first. Exploring Paris through the hop-on hop-off bus tours enables tourists to know the city in general as well as meet and get tips from other tourists and local Parisians when it comes to experiencing Paris at its fullest. These bus tours are convenient and efficient. Tourists also have the freedom to go wherever they want and be on their own once they “hop off” the bus tours.
The buses used in these hop-on hop-off bus tours are mostly double-decker buses and for a tourist, a seat on the top level is recommended. Also, majority of the buses have a pre-recorded guided tour information that is available in various languages. Tourists can just listen to the recorded guide tour and be informed about Paris. A handy map of Paris is also ideal so tourists would be familiar with the places in the city and would also know where the bus is already as well as the routes it is taking.
For most tourists, the highlight of the hop-on hop-off bus tours is being able to–as the name suggests–hop on and hop off on any bus stop that they want. There is also no limit in stopping, tourists can hop off the bus tours in every bus stop if they want and stay take their own time in exploring the city. There are even bus tours that last for two days, depending on the number of places the tourists want. Moreover, there are four major routes that these hop-on hop-off bus tours take.
Top 4 hop-on hop-off bus tours in Paris
- The Grand Paris Tour, Bastille
- Bercy, Montmartre
- Garnds Boulevards, and Montparnasse
The Grand Paris Tour that lasts for two hours includes :
- The following–Ecole Miliataire that displays the influence of Napoleon;
- Left Bank and its cobbled streets;
- The world-famous Eiffel Tower;
- Champ de Mars, a large park with trees and flower beds;
- Louvre Museum that houses Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa as well as 35,000 other art works;
- Notre Dame for the gothic architecture of the cathedral and a visit to the gargoyles;
- Musee d’Orsay that houses the best collection of Impressionistic paintings in the world;
- Galaries Lafayette which is the premier department store of Paris,
- The Avenue des Champs-Elysees which is home to luxury specialty shops, cafes, cinemas, and clipped horse-chestnut trees;
- Arc de Triomph that is the symbol for French victory and offers a view of the whole city from its peak;
- Grand Palais where paintings from Monet to Picasso, and even a science museum could be seen;
- and the Trocadero which is a great place at night where souvenirs can be bought.
Aside from the Grand Paris tour, all the other tours last for an hour.
The second tour is the Bastille – Bercy for an hour that has a route of :
- Notre-Dame Cathedral,
- Latin Quarter,
- Flower Market,
- The Bastille,
- Gare de Lyon,
- Gare d’Austerlitz,
- the Museum of Natural History,
- Parc de Bercy.
Third is the Montemartre – Grands Boulervards tour that have :
- the highlights of Furniculaire de Montmartre,
- Basilisque du Sacre-Coeur,
- Gare de Nord,
- Gare de l’Est,
- and Grands Boulevards.
The last tour is the Montparnasse – Saint-Germain with drop off points at :
- Jardin de Luxembourg,
- and Saint-Germain-des-Pres.
Tour Starting Point
For the Grand Paris Tour, the starting point is at the La Boutique in 13 Rue Aber, for the Bastille – Bercy Tour it is at the Notre-Dame, for the Montmartre – Grands Boulevards tour it is similar to Grand Paris, at the La Boutique, and for the Montparnasse – Saint-Germain starting point is at Petit Pont.
Prices hop-on hop-off bus tours in Paris
The prices of these hop-on hop-off bus tours depends on the particular company, however, the usual price ranges are the following:
- 1-Day Pass (Adult) – £26.00
- 1-Day Pass (Child) – £13.00
- 2-Day Pass (Adult) – £28.00
- 2-Day Pass (Child) – £13.00
The age limit for the Child in the hop-on hop-off bus tours in Paris is from 4 to 11 years old, those aged 12 and above are considered adults.